If you are considering moving to Shreveport Bossier LA, you’re in for a treat. Whether you’re relocating for a job or for fun, you’ll find ample opportunities here. From riverboat gambling resorts to unique Ark-La-Tex culture, there’s something for everybody.
Located in the upper northwest corner of LA, the Shreveport Bossier area is home to over 450,000. Shreveport itself is the third largest metropolitan city in Louisiana. It’s an ethnically and culturally diverse home to many.
If you’re new to the area, you may be wondering what the difference between Shreveport and Bossier is. The two sit along either side of the Red River, but are so close that they often go hand-in-hand. The two cities differ from each other in many ways, but they also compliment each other. What you can’t find in Bossier, you’re likely to find over in Shreveport and vice versa.
If you’re considering moving to Shreveport Bossier LA, here are some things you should know.
How Much Does It Cost Moving To Shreveport Bossier?
The Shreveport Bossier area is much more affordable than most big cities. The cost of living sits at 22.5% lower than the United States average. The price of housing is over 50% lower than the national average.
However, you might find the sales tax is a bit higher. You’ll pay $9.05% in sales tax.
Considering the U.S. average living index is 100, Shreveport ranks at 77.5. To determine the cost of living takes into account many factors. Healthcare, utilities, expenses, and transportation are some.
Though the cost of living is lower than average, there is no shortage of luxury to be found. At places like Le Rivage, you’ll find the finest luxury apartments in the Shreveport Bossier area.
Where Can I Find Apartments Or Houses In Shreveport Bossier?
You’ll find an array of housing options when moving to Shreveport Bossier LA. With vintage, historic lodging to newly designed and renovated apartments. When choosing between Shreveport or Bossier to find a place to live, one thing to take into account is crime. Unfortunately, Shreveport does have a higher rate of crime. On the other side of the river, Bossier has a much lower percentage.
That’s the great thing about moving to Shreveport Bossier LA. You’re easily able to live on one side of the river while working on the other. The trip from Bossier to Shreveport is only a quick hop across the bridge.
While Shreveport is a beautiful place to live, Bossier offers a safer alternative.
How Can I Get Around In Shreveport Bossier?
If you prefer public transportation to driving your own car, we have you covered. Shreveport offers a public bus service with 28 routes. This SporTran bus service is available seven days a week.
Shreveport Bossier also provides ride-sharing services. These services include Uber, Lyft, Taxis, and limo service.
For those who drive their own vehicle, you’ll find getting around is also easy. Although Shreveport Bossier has a dense population, the geographic footprint is pretty small. It’s easy to get around the metro area using the freeway.
Walking or biking is always an option, but you probably won’t find a lot of that. Shreveport Bossier citizens rarely commute without a vehicle of some sort.
What Is There To Do In Shreveport Bossier?
If you’re moving to Shreveport Bossier LA, here are some ideas for fun things to do:
- Shreveport Aquarium-The aquarium is one of downtown Shreveport’s newer attractions. Guests can touch jellyfish, get their hands cleaned by cleaner shrimp, and pet and feed stingrays. The aquarium also offers a seafood-themed waterfront restaurant.
- The CenturyLink Center-CenturyLink is one of Louisiana’s premier event venues. It offers a large variety of concerts, sports games, rodeos, comedy shows, and more.
- Gambling-Gambling is a main attraction in the Shreveport Bossier area. People come from all over to experience the famous riverboat gambling. Popular spots include the Horseshoe, Sam’s Town, Margaritaville, and Eldorado.
- The Louisiana Boardwalk-The Louisiana Boardwalk is one of the biggest outlet malls in the state. Situated along the Red River, it offers a beautiful view of the city. The boardwalk features stores like Bass Pro Shop, Bath & Body Works, Claire’s, Build-A-Bear Workshop, and much more. You’ll also find a Regal theater and plenty of places to grab a bite.
- Sci-Port Discovery Center-Sci-Port is a great place for kids to explore and take part in fun learning activities. It includes several interactive science exhibits and a planetarium. It also houses the only IMAX Dome Theatre in the state.
- Red River National Wildlife Refuge-The National Wildlife Refuge in Bossier is a nature conservation area. Here you’ll find opportunities for beautiful nature walks, fishing, and wildlife viewing. Each walking path offers a diverse range of plants and wildlife. You’ll find guided signs of what you might encounter on the trail.
- Festivals-Festivals are the state of Louisiana’s most famous attributions. The Shreveport Bossier area alone celebrates over 55 festivals. The most popular of these is Mardi Gras. Every year in February, thousands of people gather for good food, festivities, and fun.
Fun Facts About Shreveport Bossier LA
One of the first things you’ll want to remember about living in Shreveport Bossier is that you’re living in a parish, not a county. Louisiana is the only state in the U.S. with this unique feature. The parishes refer to the same kind of territorial boundaries that counties do. The term comes from the Roman Catholic church that once ruled the state.
Another fun fact to remember nods the pride and joy of Shreveport: Elvis Presley. Elvis actually got his start in Shreveport at the Municipal Auditorium. The auditorium, built in 1929, is still in service today. It stands at 705 Elvis Presley Boulevard.
Believe it or not, Shreveport is sometimes referred to as “the Hollywood of the South.” This is because it’s actually a booming area for the film industry. It is not uncommon to hear of movies filming right around the corner.
Come Live With Us
If you are moving to Shreveport Bossier LA, we want you to live with us! Live in luxury at Le Rivage Luxury Apartments located in Bossier City. Call us at (318) 252-8482 or visit our website to schedule a tour.